Thursday, September 06, 2007

Professional U-Turn

I am learning about myself - still. Last December, I was still with a tiny compay working really hard for myself, and for the company. I was always afraid if I didn't work hard enough, the company would have difficulty to pay us on time, or, pay us at all. Later I realized how childish I was - I had been with that company for two years by then and it didn't really miss any of our paychecks even though there were a few incidents that signaled some financial trouble. Finally, in January, everyone's hard work paid off - our 20 people company got bought by a huge corporation, a corporation that is top 20 in the nation and has around 180,000 employees. We cheered - we are "rich" now, we are safe now.

I thought I would "work" happily ever after the bought-out. What I didn't realize was that I just entered into the nightmare of big corporation's bureaucracy, mind-buggling controling policies and the new manager's power struggles. Suddenly, a different kind of pressure was mouting. It sufficated me to the point that I finally could't take it anymore.

Now I am back to a small company. I feel like I just went on a long waited journey and quickly took a U-turn and came back home. Now work is as harder as ever again but I couldn't appreciate it more.

No comments: